The Faculty of Dental Surgery is responsible for all the teaching and training of students seeking a profession within the multidisciplinary fields of Dentistry. The Faculty is housed at the Medical School within Mater Dei Teaching Hospital. It currently holds two areas of clinical teaching at Mater Dei Hospital, another clinic at St. Vincent De Paul (SVP), and a state of the art pre-clinical teaching area situated in the Biomedical Buildings on the University’s Main Campus. Additionally it has established a Mobile Dental Unit to further expand its curricular activities within a community setting.
The Faculty has expanded its teaching activities during the past five years. It now provides the following courses:
- Preparatory course for Diploma in Dental Surgery Assistance
- Diploma in Dental Surgery Assistance
- Degree in Dental Surgery (MDS and BChD courses)
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Dental Technology
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Dental Hygiene
- Master of Science Degree by research in Restorative Dentistry
- Master of Science Degree in Orthodontics. This is a clinical degree offered in conjunction with King’s College London
- Doctoral Degree
In addition, the Faculty is currently developing other courses, in line with its vision to provide appropriate training at various levels of studies. The Faculty is composed of the following departments:
1. Dental Surgery
2. Oral Rehabilitation and Community Care, and
3. Restorative Dentistry.